Company: Open Bionics
Job Title: Biomedical/Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Bristol, UK
Start Date: Immediate
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Candidate must be eligible to work in the UK
Candidate must have 2:1 engineering degree or equivalent
Candidate must have or be working towards chartership with the IMechE or equivalent body
Ideal candidate will have at least 2 years practical experience (Graduates should apply)
Please send applications to email@example.com.
Open Bionics is an award winning start-up that is globally known for its cutting edge advancements in myoelectric prosthetic hands. Open Bionics has worked with Disney and Eidos Montreal to design superhero bionic hands for children, which the successful candidate will help develop.
We’re a small team of six that can offer an extremely rewarding job, both in terms of content and environment by working to create advanced and affordable bionic limbs for people with limb differences.
The successful applicant will take on the responsibility of completing end-to-end mechanical development for our product lines of robotic and bionic limbs, and will have the potential for rapid promotion as the company grows. This level of responsibility and role diversity can only be found in a small company like ours.
It’s important that the candidate is full of energy and enthusiasm for the work they do, and for the work we do. We are looking to hire someone who works well independently and within a small team. Ideally, the candidate will be attracted to the idea of working with an ambitious startup to create a globally successful company. If you live and breathe engineering, we want you!
Practical Experience Required
- Advanced Blender 3D modelling skills - in the event that you have no prior experience with Blender we can provide e-Learning resources so you can learn before your start date. In this case, experience with a parametric CAD package such as Solidworks is required.
- Desktop 3D printing knowledge (Ultimaker / BQ Hep2)
- Design for Manufacture
- Prototype development
- Repeated design-make-test cycles
- Requirements capture
- Concept generation
- Concept selection
- Creation of specification
- Prototype Validation and Verification
- Experience working with a QMS (Quality Management System)
- Solution-driven problem solving skills
Practical Experience Desired
- 3D printing knowledge with flexible filament
- CE Marking for Medical Devices
- Materials knowledge
- 3D scanning knowledge
- Prosthetic & Orthotic knowledge
- Supply chains
- Working with Medical Devices
- Product Design
Please e-mail applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- A short covering letter explaining why you’re right for the role and what you’d like to work on at Open Bionics. (.PDF)
- A CV. (.PDF)
- An example 3D model that you’ve created using Blender. (.blend)
- Blender can be downloaded
- The model should be something that would function if manufactured.
- If you have no experience with Blender, please include the same from an equivalent CAD package in STP format.
- n example of a product that you’ve designed and prototyped. (.PDF / video)
Candidates that do not include all of the above documents, formatted as indicated, will not be considered for the role.